Get Hired for a Day Program
MEDA's Emerging Leaders Network is seeking Mentors and Mentees for the Get Hired for a Day Program. The program allows Mentors to select or “hire” an emerging leader for a day, with a pairing based on shared interests.
Through the program, emerging leaders with an active interest in a career in economic development will have the opportunity to spend time with a Mentor, learning about economic development in Michigan. Early-career economic developers can explore other areas within the field to gain a better understanding of how to create successful partnerships with them. The goal of this volunteer program is to be mutually beneficial for both parties, and to foster long-term relationships.
Benefits of participating for the Mentor:
- Renews enthusiasm for the economic development profession
- Obtain a greater understanding of the different challenges and barriers experienced with emerging leaders entering the economic development profession
- Enhances skills in coaching, counseling, listening and leadership
- Demonstrates expertise and shares knowledge of the core economic development competencies
- Helps identify and correct generational issues
- Because it is our duty to help the next generational workforce!
Benefits of participating for the Mentee:
- Gain career development opportunities
- Help with the transition into a full-time career
- Opportunity to share new and different perspectives
- Be inspired to pursue a career in economic development
- Get a better understanding of what additional knowledge, skills or training is needed to pursue a career in economic development
You Get a Coupon!
Because it is important to further introduce emerging leaders to the profession and reward Mentors for their time, all Mentor and Mentee participants will get a coupon to attend one of our day programs - Capitol Day, either Toolox, or the Emerging Leaders Spring Program. The coupon can also be used for a discount off of the Annual Meeting or the Economic Development Basic Course.
Who Can Participate
Anyone with an active interest in an economic development career can participate. Typical candidates include - but are not limited to - college students or those in the early stages of their career in economic development that want a better feel for work in other areas of the industry.
This program is now open all year! The schedules below are appoximate. If no jobs are posted at the time that you submit your resume, we will send a "Call for Mentors."
- September: MEDA will collect one-day job postings from Mentors.
- September - October: Mentees can apply for the available positions.
- October: The Emerging Leaders Committee will match Mentors and Mentees.
- October - December: The one day “hiring” will take place. Some quick reporting is requested following completion.
- January: MEDA will collect one-day job postings from Mentors.
- January - March: Mentees can apply for the available positions.
- April: The Emerging Leaders Committee will match Mentors and Mentees.
- April - June: The one day “hiring” will take place. Some quick reporting is requested following completion.